Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pillows and Blankets

I have had the same throw pillows on my couch for about 8 years. Lately I've been thinking it would really be nice to get some new pillows just to change things up a bit. I'm rethinking that now....

Yesterday, a friend and I took some coats and winter clothes to a family of African refugees. It took us close to an hour to find their new home in Fort Worth. As the family of nine opened bags of jackets, sweaters, caps, etc., their faces lit up like it was Christmas morning. As we got ready to leave, I asked the mother "is there anything else you need right now?" She immediately motioned with her arms (she doesn't speak English) that her family needed blankets and pillows. "And socks!" one of the children spoke out.

When David got home last evening, but I told him of the need that my friends had...and that I couldn't go to bed tonight knowing that this precious family needed blankets. We ate a quick frozen pizza and headed to WalMart to get blankets and pillows and a some more warm coats.

I will never forget the squeals of glee as we handed each child a warm blanket to sleep with last night. And pillows! They were thrilled to have their own pillow! We sat in their small living room and sang African songs and I taught them an American game. Life is really so simple.

I take so much for granted....I think I will wait on those decorative pillows.

2 comments:

da momma said...

tears and a smile is what you just gave me! I love you, your heart, your family, your encouragement...Im thankful for you and our new friends...who God brought straight to us! Amen!

susan sheldon said...

I would love to help out if any of the other African families need blankets, pillows, socks, underwear, etc. Thank you and David for truly showing us how to be Jesus' hands and feet and walking the walk.