Saturday, February 28, 2009

Week #9: 2 Samuel 24:24b

Week of March 1-7

"I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing." [2 Samuel 24:24b]

NOTE: The context of this passage is what makes this verse so significant. King David arrived to worship God at the farmland of Araunah, the Jebusite. The native was so thrilled that royalty came to his home that he urged David to freely use whatever land, wood and livestock he wanted for his sacrifice. However, David knew that a sacrifice that costs nothing wasn't a sacrifice at all. True worship always requires something from us. True worship is costly.

2 comments:

da momma said...

Good reminder! Thanks!!

The Porter Family said...

Oh shoot! This one really challenges me to introspectively examine my worship and what I consider sacrifice!