Sunday, February 15, 2009

Help! I'm getting behind!

Scripture memory is a discipline, requiring hard work. Like all disciplines, you can expect to enjoy varying degrees of success. By now, you are working on your 7th entry. And, like running any race, you're probably starting to feel the burn. A couple of things to keep in mind to help you stay the course:

1. You're in a marathon, not a sprint. Try to keep a steady pace. In this race, it's better that you finish well than to finish first.

2. Make up the distance on the downhills. You may lose some momentum when life is busy or you are wrestling with any number of other challenges. Don't get discouraged. When you get some margin [a vacation, a road trip, a weekend retreat], focus on one or two extra verses.

3. Take a shortcut if you must. Marathon courses are carefully monitored to make sure runners don't slip down alleys to the finish. In the Spiritual disciplines, you're permitted to take a shorter route. Some of the entries posted here may have two- or three-verse selections. Feel free to simply memorize a portion of what is provided. Similarly, if you prefer to memorize a different text, do so! This is about how you are personally connecting with God.

4. Cherish the experience. I've had the opportunity to run in several races with a view that, one day, I may run a marathon. When I do, I won't care so much that I've kept up with all the other runners, or that I make the top list of finishers. I will embrace the whole experience: the gratitude of being challenged, the satisfaction of aiming high, the joy of doing it with my running companions. These same big picture principles are important to remember as you press on to memorize God's Word.

So, stay in the race! I'm cheering for you!

1 comment:

scbates said...

thank you for the encouragement!