Saturday, June 6, 2009

Week #23: Ezekiel 36:26

Week of June 7-13

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. " [Ezekiel 36:26]


NOTE: An excerpt from the book I am reading, The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns:

"As followers of Christ, we must become acutely aware of the darkness and hardness of the human heart. God is certainly aware. He spoke of it when He said of His people, "I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh"(Ezekiel 11:9) It is our "stony hearts" that are the root cause not only of apathy toward our fellow man but even of hatred, murder, and genocide. Divided between the things of God and the things of the world, our "hearts of stone" are incapable of loving the poor unless God changes them to hearts of "flesh". Should this not cause us to plead with God daily... for our hearts to "be broken by the things that break the heart of God"?

1 comment:

The Porter Family said...

This is SO true. I have personally experienced God giving me a new heart - a heart that sees and feels and desires things in a whole new way; in a way that has opened my eyes to see that this is not my life - it is not about my comfort - it is not about my convenience. It is about loving others as if they were Jesus - the street [Jesus], the poor [Jesus], the sick [Jesus], the orphan [Jesus]. I pray that He will continue to reveal these things to me, remove the veil from my eyes and then change my heart!