Thursday, February 25, 2010

Share what you are learning!

We had a great meeting today at Starbucks! A couple things we touched on:

1) "Wilderness wanderings" (Deut 8:15-18) Often God allows us to wander in the "wilderness places" in our lives for our own good-to teach us great godly lessons and for us to ultimately rely on God's strength, not our own.

2) A great summary of the history of the Israelites is found in Deuteronomy 6:21-25. Keep reminding yourself of the great journey and provision of God for His people!

3) Balaam and his talking donkey: Balaam ultimately realized the awesomeness of God, and did not resort to cursing Israel. Instead, he blessed them. "Blessed is everyone who blesses you, O Israel, and cursed is everyone who curses you."

4) Share what you are learning on the blog! It doesn't have to be that week's readings in particular, just whatever God is teaching you :)

Press on friends!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Love our group!! I am learning so much from everybody's insights and wildernesses...Sarah Roach- you add SO much that I love finding out about Jewish heritage. Have a great week. Susan

Roach Momma said...

I echo Susan's comments. It's so helpful to have others reading the same thing at the same time both for accountibility and to bounce thoughts/ideas off each other. I feel so blessed to have each of you in my life :)

Here is a link I found about the "tassels" we disscused yesterday. (I'm going to surf around this site some more - looks very interesting!)

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Blessings/Synagogue_Blessings/Donning_Tallit/donning_tallit.html

Roach Momma said...

Sorry...the whole link didn't paste. Take 2:

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Blessings/Synagogue_Blessings/Donning_Tallit/donning_tallit.html

Kelly said...

I was struck by the message of presumption that was in our reading this morning (3/3). Joshua begins his campaign to inhabit the Promised Land and after some decisive victories he makes a treaty with a nation, "but they did not consult the Lord." (10:14) How often do I go along my merry way, forgetting that all my previous successes were from Him, and thereby I do "not consult the Lord?"