Saturday, October 3, 2009

Week #40: Philippians 4:6-7

Week of October 4-10

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. " [Philippians 4:6-7]

NOTE: This may be a familiar verse to you, but I encourage you to take it apart phrase by phrase this week and meditate on the richness of this passage. It is chock-full of powerful truths and commands for our spiritual life. Don't miss em!

For example:
Phrase 1: Do not be anxious
Phrase 2: about ANYTHING
Phrase 3: but in EVERYTHING
Phrase 4: by PRAYER and PETITION
Phrase 5: with THANKSGIVING
and so on....

6 comments:

Sydney said...

LOVE this verse. Thank you for encouraging us to break it down like that. I so need to do that right now with all that we have coming up!

scbates said...

I am so encouraged that I have this scripture to fall back on ....and use to share and pray with others!!! This is what we are called to do.....to give the truth when we don't have a Bible with us...we have it on our hearts!

I am FOREVER grateful you challenged me this year with Scripture memory...what a gift!!

Ryan Bailey said...

I SO needed this verse this week! God has been so faithful to put on your heart these past few weeks verses that are so specific to my situations! He is so sweet! Thank you again!

The Porter Family said...

I have a Seeds of Worship song for this verse that I would love to share. I am blog challenged, so if anyone knows a way for me to share a 'paid for' mp3 file on the blog, I would love to share it on wordaweek.

Kara Gunn said...

I love how God gives us His word just when we need it....never late or by coincidence. I used to think that this verse meant that I needed to be thankful for the situation that I was in. I have since felt that I just need to be thankful for my loving God. I can praise Him and thank Him that He will give me peace even if I don't particularly enjoy the challenge I am going through. Thanks for challenging me to memorize this verse again....(sad that I "lost" it in my brain somewhere) :)

Marcy said...

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. " [Philippians 4:6-7]

I heard the end of Chip Ingram's radio broadcast today and he was He said to:
1. Write down all of the blessings in our lives and thank God for His goodness
2. and then talk to the Lord about any area of anxiety/concern.

It is amazing the peace I have when I remember (and write down) all of the ways God has worked in my life in the past; puts any present difficulties in perspective and reminds me of the Lord's faithfulness.

What a comforting passage; thanks for your encouragement Tiffany!