Saturday, January 24, 2009

Week #4: Deuternonomy 6:4-6

Week of January 25-31

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. [Deuternonomy 6:4-6]

For an extra challenege, add vv. 7-9:

Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. [Deuternonomy 6:7-9]

NOTE: This passage is the first and most fundamental passage of Judaism. Every Jewish child would learn the shema--the affirmation of God's oneness. For more information, click here and here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The website for Hebrews for Christians is really interesting. You let us off easy we could be memorizing all three parts: Shema, Vehayah, and Vaiyomer. I am excited to read all these verses and see what God has to teach me this week. Thanks again, Kristin

Roach Momma said...

I was raised Jewish (became a believer in 2000) and as soon as I read "Hear O Israel," I went into auto-pilot. I guess I'll have to challenge myself and see if I still remember all the Hebrew as well. What a great set of versus for the week! :)

Tiffany Daniels said...

Dear Roach Momma-
What a neat history!
I bet the readers here would love to see Deut. 6 written out in transliterated Hebrew-(from Hebrew to English)
Shalom!
Tiffany

Roach Momma said...

Let's see here...Duet. 6:4-9 (with a little help from www.jewfaq.org)

Shema Yisrael Adonai eloheinu Adonai ehad. Viahavta et Adonai eloheha, b'khol l'vavka uv kol nafsh'ka uv kol m'odeka. V'hayu had varim ha eileh asher anokhi m'tzavka hayom al l'vavekha. V'shinantam l'vaneka v'dibarta bam
b'shiv t'ka b'veiteka uv lek t'ka vaderek uv shak'b'ka uv kumeka. Uk'shar tam l'ot al yadeka v'hayu l'totafo bein eineka. Uk tav tam al m'zuzot beiteka uvishareka.