Sunday, August 22, 2010

A New Heart

As I often do, I take my Daily Walk Bible with me on appointments when I anticipate I might have a wait so that I can catch up or get ahead on my reading. At a recent haircut appointment, I set my Bible on the counter next to me. The hairdresser asked me what book I was reading? How convenient! I told her about my Bible reading plan and how much I enjoyed it. Her response- "The Bible is a hard read". Wow! That opened all kinds of doors....
I went on to find out that her mother is Jewish. She doesn't attend church. She opened up about some spiritual contradictions she is wrestling with. I was able to share with her the amazing privilege and heritage she had as one of God's chosen people. I told her that the Bible was chock full of stories about the Jewish people. I explained that God had given a great gift in His son, Jesus, and that some Jews had chosen to receive it and some to reject it. The conversation lasted maybe 10 minutes, but her eyes displayed a hunger for what I was saying and a desire to know the truth.

God has brought a verse in Ezekiel to mind over and over as I pray for my new friend this week:
" I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." Ezekiel 36:26

This week, as you read Ezekiel 36, remember that one of the reasons you saturate your life with God's Word is so that you can share His Word with others and see hearts changed.

Press on friends!

No comments: